Information and Referral Counsellor
The Community Information Centre of Ottawa is a non-profit community agency that offers Information and Referral services, which involves directing clients to the appropriate service based on an assessment of needs. As of September 19th, 2008 we have been the service provider for 211, an easy to remember, three digits, non-emergency telephone number that connects callers to a full range of community, social, government and health services in Ottawa. We also publish a variety of documents and the Directory of Ottawa Community Services. All of these services are provided by using a computerized database of community services which has been created and maintained by the CIC.
We are presently looking for someone who will primarily offer Information and Referral services, and assist in updating our various publications and the database. These tasks are directly related to the 211 service. This is a contractual entry level position leading to Information and Referral Specialist.
The ideal candidate for this position will:
- Have some experience pertaining to the social or health sector working directly with clients
- Have a base knowledge of the functioning of the human services in the City of Ottawa
- Have university experience (completed or in progress)
- Have some office experience either clerical or administrative
- Have a desire to understand human services and to navigate the social system
- Be fluently bilingual in both official languages (spoken and written)
- Be flexible to work in a rapidly changing environment with varying hours
Skills that are an asset for this position:
- Ability to connect quickly with people and to correctly understand a query
- Ability to efficiently defuse an escalating situation
- Ability to communicate without expressing judgment, stereotypes or prejudices
- Excellent attention to detail, strong organizational skills, the ability to maintain consistency, and the ability to remember detailed information and to concentrate
- Strong knowledge of computers and computer systems
- Strong written skills including translating basic information from one official language to the other and proofreading in English and in French
- Ability to multitask and to work collaboratively within a team
Tasks/Responsibilities of the Information and Referral Counsellor:
- Provide information and Referral services primarily by phone but also by e-mail, fax or by mail.
- Process Directory sales and mail out
- Assist with various administrative tasks as needed
- Update special information in the database and various publications
- Research community resources to help individuals as well as to augment or to update the database
- Promote the Directory through various channels of communication
- Please direct applications to email@example.com
- Applicants who are not fluently bilingual (English & French) will not be considered
- Please provide your availability in your application.
- Full Time contract and/or part time contract, hours may fluctuate between 10 and 35 hours per week, must be available on evening and weekends
- $17 per hour
- Start date is anticipated to be determined
- Hours of operation are 7am to 9pm Mon-Fri and 8am to 6pm Sat-Sun.
- Rate of promotion will vary according to acquired skill and performance